Wednesday, October 25, 2006

DROP 11

Here's something to make up for the missing bands on CD86. "You crushed my bones, but I've got thousands." That's a line from one of my favourite 1000 Violins songs, namely "If Only Words". That's not the song I'm giving you today though. This is one I've fallen for more recently, as I just got hold of a copy of Like One Thousand Violins (thanks to Jimmy Tassos!), the singles compilation Vinyl Japan put out in 2000. This is as good an example as any of their quirky song titles, which are sometimes brilliant, but sometimes just TOO long. "Let Me Charm the Pants Off Your World" is probably the best! "If I Were a Bullet..." was from their fourth (or third, or fifth - hard to find information on these matters!) single, released by Report in 1987, and it is one of the most gloriously jangly songs of the decade. 1000 Violins could have been really big you know, if they'd only stayed together longer. They deserve being as big as The Stone Roses, at least! Well, there's a lot to say about this band but it's all in the music, so if you look up their records you can find out on your own. Good luck!

DROP 11
1000 Violins - If I Were a Bullet (Then For Sure I'd Find a Way to Your Heart)

No comments: