Thursday, May 17, 2007

DROP 59

Someone was asking if there were more recordings by North of Cornwallis, except for "Billy Liar" and "One 2nd Class Return". This has now turned up, thanks to Ally who gave me a wee tape with this song and some interesting stuff by other bands, that might see the light of day soon. It sounds more like a demo, because it only has vocals and two guitar tracks, but I love it all the same. If you were living the UK around 1990 you might have heard Beats International (started by Norman Cook post-Housemartins) in which Lester Noel sang a bit. I haven't, but I can't imagine it being as good as this. Lester was previously in Grab Grab the Haddock, and they're REALLY good! Apparently he also did backing vocals on a song by Danish pop band Gangway... And Cornwallis is apperently a Canadian island. Named after a Lord Cornwallis from England.

2 comments:

ourpeboritp!o!p! said...

Hey! Beautiful! Thanks for the track...
check out "Billy Liar" in MySpace...before I take it down on Monday! I do hope all of Lester Noel's songs are released in once great compilation...he's a great storyteller and I always enjoys his songs! Ally should convince Lester to do it! Hey Sombrero can always be resurrected for this, right? :-)
cheers!

Jessel
http://www.myspace.com/jesselbaltazar

Anonymous said...

This is what 'lost treasure' means for me ...
Thanks, Chris
!!!!!!!!!!!!!