Sunday, April 22, 2007

DROP 53

I've been looking for this song for a long time! It started last year when Norman Blake played it during a DJ-set at Mono. He told me it was the b-side to their "Going All the Way" single that I had heard because it was on Nuggets. The b-side was also re-released - on one of the Pebbles volumes. That single was all The Squires ever released - though they did cut one single as The Rogues prior to that. After some research I found out about this compilation that included both singles and a bunch of demos. But it seemed really hard to track down as it only came out on vinyl in 1986. Then suddenly this year a copy of this Crypt comp turned up on eBay and I got it for about three quid! Imagine my joy... The song is so much better that the a-side, and it's one of my all-time faves. Maybe even better than "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better", on whose riff this song is modelled too! Proof that it's one of the best songs from the 60's is provided by The Pop Art Toasters, as it's one of the songs chosen for their covers ep. You'll get to hear their version of it tomorrow.

DROP 53
The Squires - Go Ahead

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a wonderful, wonderful tune. thank you for posting it.